A Lean and Lightweight Governance Approach for Agile Software Development
Alpha State Cards are a simple, easy way to track status of a software project and help plan next steps. We’ve been using them for some time with our customers, and they have proven so popular we thought we’d make them more widely available. Think of them as another technique in your agile tool bag.
Alphas represent key performance indicators for a software development project. They are entirely method, life-cycle, process, practice and even philosophy independent, so it doesn’t matter what your personal belief system is - they can apply to any type of software project. In the full deck you will find state cards for: Opportunity, Stakeholder, Requirements, Software System, Work, Team and Way of Working.
Alpha cards can help:
- Understand the current state of your development project
- Troubleshoot problem areas within a project
- Set objectives for future iterations
- Facilitate retrospectives
- Identify areas for improvement
Get Your Own Alpha Cards!
Alpha State Card Games
Use the Alpha State Cards and games to understand where you are and what needs to be addressed, track progress and health, keep projects in balance and avoid catastrophic failures, form good sprint goals and other objectives and define practice independent checkpoints, milestones and life-cycles.
Have a go yourself - below are a selection of games that you can play to help your team and add a new dimension to your workshops.
- Progress Poker - Use this game to determine the state of any particular Alpha
- Chase the State - Use this game to determine the state of your software development efforts.
- Objective Go - Use this game to identify high-level goals and objectives for your team.
- Checkpoint Construction - Use this game to define practice independent checkpoints with automatically generated practice independent checklists.
- Lifecycle Layout - Use this game to visualize your software development lifecycle to form a starting point for team planning.
- Milestone Mapping - Use this game to visualize your milestones and form a light-weight roadmap for your software development.
- Health Monitoring - Use this game to visually track the health of your endeavor regardless of the practices or method being used.